Friday, May 13, 2011

All About Small: Kim Tucker


I love Kim Tucker's work. She's prolific and a nice person and loves Dolly Parton and probably should be art-world famous by now and her studio is just up the street from me. I always imagine I'm going to visit her with cash in my pocket and I'll come home with a wicked little Kim Tucker. She always let's me over and I never have cash and I'm always knocked out by her heartbreaking sculptures. I love heartbreaking art so when I see it I get all funny. Kinda funny bad and funny good. Kim's work is totally funny good/funny bad. Funny good because they're fucking funny and funny bad because her outcast numskulls call out for hugs they're never gonna get.

When I was at her studio a couple of months back I spotted a little gem that almost made me cry. I've been thinking about it ever since. It's small and there's yellow . I don't even know the title.

Kim's having a show at L2Kontemporary in Chinatown May 28-June 25 called Loudmouth Ghosts and Reckless Sweethearts. There's a reception on Saturday May 28 from 7-10pm. Meet me there, ok? www.L2kontemporary.com